Hello WHUR Family,
Food not only fuels our bodies, it also awakens our senses. Nature has given us the best of everything when it comes to food. We now know that the most beautifully-colored foods are also the most nutritious. And, when used in recipes, combining foods can make a beautiful presentation, have intoxicating aromas, fill our mouths with wonderful textures and flavors and create memories. So, food is clearly more than just fuel. Food also provides energy. That energy is what we commonly call calories. Let’s explore the relationships and how to make it all work for us.
- Fitness Friday Groove -
Artist: Curtis Mayfield
Song: A New World Order
- Your Fitness Friday Exercise Program -
Now – for your exercise program for today – Monday and Wednesday of next week – It‘s all about – The Chest, So – here it is…
- The Four Exercise -
That you’re going to do are: Flat Barbell Bench Press, Incline Barbell Bench Press, Dumbell Flyes and Push-ups. You will 4 set of 8-12 repetition – using a light to moderate weight. And before you start your exercise routine – warm-up for 10 minutes on the treadmill or stationary bike.
- Fitness Friday Meal of The Day -
Grilled Salmon with Black Bean Salsa Recipe
- 1/4 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 salmon fillets (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup seedless red grapes, chopped
- 1/4 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon canned chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Fitness Friday Feature -
Enmeri Batista was born in New York City in 1984. Later moving to Tampa FL, where she engaged in sports activities such as basketball and softball. She joined the Air Force at the age of 17 from Tampa FL. It wasn’t until her second assignment while she was stationed at Osan Air Base Korea that she started to workout seriously.
Enmeri knew 2013 would be a great year for her, she was featured as the Military Athlete of the Month for March. During this time frame, while still being active duty in the Air Force, she began pursuing her goals to become a personal trainer and begin her business EnHanced Personal Training as well as a bacholer’s degree in Sports and Health sciences.
Click picture to view larger image
- Fitness Friday Special Guest -
Mr. Ed Davies
Ed was named executive director of the DC Children and Youth Investment Trust Corporation in November 2012. Davies is a dynamic leader with nearly 15 years of experience in education and youth grant making, program development and nonprofit management. He brings a wealth of knowledge and energy to carry out the Trust’s mission of ensuring youth in the District of Columbia have opportunities to engage in high-quality programs.
Contact Information: 202 347 4441
- Aaron Ardoin Foundation -
The Aaron Ardoin Foundation for Sickle Cell Anemia was established in 2005. It is dedicated to assisting those afflicted with this disease by raising necessary funds in order to:
- Increase Awareness about the prevalence of Sickle Cell Anemia in numerous ethnic populations, its various forms, the options for treatment, the status of research, and the enormous resources needed to address this genetic condition.
- Enhance Treatment of this chronic illness and its many debilitating, even fatal, complications.
- Promote Prevention by educating caregivers, social service agencies, and communities about the genetic nature of this disease, as well as the screening options that are available for decreasing the number of newborns with Sickle Cell Disease.
- Advance the Cure by providing vital resources to support Sickle Cell Disease’s medical research efforts.
Contact Information: http://aaronardoinfoundation.org/
Enjoy You Day,