Hello WHUR Family,
When you are looking for a physically active lifestyle, it begins with finding an activity that brings you joy and finding someone to share it with.
If someone told you that there was a “magic pill” that could improve your heart health, help you maintain or lose weight, build strong bones to prevent osteoporosis, keep your mind sharp, improve your sexual life. Decrease your chance of cancer, and improve your overall sense of well-being. Would you jump at the chance to get it? YES? Well, today is your lucky day because, that “magic pill” is physical activity! And it’s available to you free of charge and in many convenient forms. GET STARTED TODAY!
- Fitness Friday Groove -
Artist: Janet Jackson
- Fitness Friday Exercise Program –
Shifting the paradigm to the Healthy women of Washington
Here’s the deal:
Your exercise program for the next six months. Starting Now! Marie is working out three day per week and following a realistic meal plan that you can find on WHUR .com under Fitness Friday.
Marie’s goal with your participation is to shift the paradigm to the Healthy women of Washington. And finish it all off with one fantastic celebration.
Remember your goal is to become Fit and Fabulous. So, work with what you have and all happening right here.
Now, for your resistance exercise program for today… It‘s all about The Back, Let’s do Seated Rows. So, here it is… What are the back muscles?
Back Muscles, Function and Exercises
The Latissimus Dorsi muscles (also known as the Lats) are the largest muscles of the back.
Being large, fan-shaped muscles, they are able to provide force in a wide range of body positions, e.g. leaning back to straight vertical and all points in between.
The Lats are attached to the upper end of the humerus with fibers running down in a fan down the vertebral column and pelvic girdle.
The Trapezius (trap) muscle is a long, trapezoid-shaped muscle that runs down the upper section of the spinal cord, originating at the base of the skull and attaching down in the middle to lower back.
The angles of the Trapezius fibers provide pull in three different directions: up, down and in towards the centerline of the body.
- Muscle Functions -
The function of the Latissimus Dorsi is to pull the arm down towards the pelvis. When the arm is fixed (e.g. during a chin-up), the lats serve to bring the body up towards the arm. It is the same basic movement but with the directions reversed. The Lats also function to stabilize the torso during many movements, including the flat bench press.
The functions of the Trapezius muscle include scapular elevation (shrugging up), scapular adduction (drawing the shoulder blades together) and scapular depression (pulling the shoulder blades down).
- Exercises -
•Close-grip pulldowns, •Wide-grip front pulldowns, •One-arm dumbell rows, •Seated cable rows, •Chin-ups, •Bent-over barbell rows, •Deadlifts, •Wide-grip pull-ups, •Stiff-arm pushdowns
Exercise Sample – Seated Rows
- Fitness Friday Meal of The Day –
Sweet Chili-Rubbed Salmon with Grilled Peach & Raspberry Salad
An awesome flavor combination of grilled chili and brown sugar-rubbed salmon served on lettuce with grilled peaches, raspberries and orange vinaigrette.
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 package Gluten-Free Chili Seasoning Mix , divided
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 pound salmon fillet, skin removed and salmon cut into 6 serving-size pieces
- 2 ripe peaches, halved and pitted
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 package (5 to 6 ounces) mixed salad greens
- Mix orange juice, 1/4 cup of the oil, honey and 2 tablespoons of the Seasoning Mix in small bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Set dressing aside.
- Mix remaining Seasoning Mix and sugar in small bowl. Brush salmon with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Rub seasoning mixture on both sides of salmon.
- Grill salmon over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes per side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Grill peach halves over medium heat 3 minutes per side or until grill marks appear. Cool then cut peaches into slices.
- Divide salad greens among 6 plates. Top each with peach slices, raspberries and a salmon fillet. Serve with dressing.
- Fitness Friday Fitness Feature –
I was born in an African country with a low literacy rate, especially among women, so I wanted to become an educator. I believe strong women can change the world.
Click on the photo for a larger view:
Photographer is Trevor Howell
- Fitness Friday Special Guest -
I am focused on providing Reiki Healing services with the highest levels of customer satisfaction. Your wellness is important to me. With a variety of offerings to choose from, I’m sure you’ll find one that fits your needs.
Enjoy Your Weekend!