Hello WHUR Family,
Your “Fitness Friday” Morning Groove
Artist: Isley Brothers
Song: Summer Breeze
Your “Fitness Friday” Exercise Program!
For Today Monday and Wednesday of next week:
It’s all about being Heart Healthy. Let’s focus on your cardiovascular exercise program. So here it is – Walking, Running, Cycling – outside or stationary, Swimming and Dancing. Try to maintain your program for 40-60 minutes.
To achieve the best benefit from your cardiovascular exercise program, work within your target heart rate zone. You can find this number by taking 220 minus your age X’s 65% and that number is your target Heart Rate zone. Remember your goal is become fit and fabulous, so work with what you have and it’s all happening right here.
And Now Your “Meal of The Day”
Black Bean and Corn Chicken Chili Recipe
This is a fiber rich meal and by the toasting the chili powder, cumin and garlic powder will intensify their flavors, making this chili a rich, hearty meal in a bowl.
- Ingredients -
- Makes 8 (1-cup) servings.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Cumin, Ground
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) great Northern beans, undrained
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Directions -
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken, bell pepper and onion; cook and stir 7 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Heat small nonstick skillet on medium heat 2 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin and garlic; toast 30 seconds or until aromatic, stirring constantly. Add to chicken mixture.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 20 minutes.
“Fitness Friday” Feature – Hard Work!
- Ms. Michelle Gales -
For as long as I can remember I have always been an athlete. I was a collegiate gymnast for the University of Kentucky and I am currently am professional fitness competitor in the NPC. I have always had a passion for sports and fitness. I love the challenges that come along with it, may it be learning something or just trying to achieve a new personal goal. Other than my competitive side I am actually pretty laid back and enjoy simple things like movies and shopping. Even though I am a big fitness enthusiast I love to eat!!! I love trying out new places.
My mission is simple…. I love being healthy and obtaining a healthy lifestyle with a little bit of fun mixed in. I am always looking for the next person that I can help achieve their goals. Working out is not always the easiest thing for people to do. The hardest part is getting people to take that first step towards changing their lifestyle. With that being said I like to be the one to take on that challenge and help people reach their goal whatever it may be. For me one of the best experiences is when I see my client’s hard work pay off and they achieve their goals!!! Contact Information: https://www.facebook.com/michelle.gales.940?fref=ts
My “Fitness Friday” Special Guest”
- Ms. Bertha Cross -
Fitness Heights International. We will be talking about the phase of development for starting your running program. And how to be the best that you can be. It’s Healthy Parks Healthy People!
- To Our Female Military Veterans -
It’s that time of the year again! On Friday, November 22, from 7:00pm-9:30pm, we invite our women Veterans to come out for our 4th annual Ladies’ Night. In recognition of our female Veterans and their service to this nation, not only will it…here be health assessments and gender-specific services, but it will be a free evening of good food, good music, and good fun! To RSVP, please contact us at (202)745-4037. Join us as we continue to serve those who served us…and spread the word!
- WHUR Family, Let’s Get Social With -
The Washington, D.C. VA Medical Center