- You know when we talk about “Fitness Friday” -
It’s not news to most of us that American Adults and Children are in the middle of an obesity epidemic. The government advisory say that calorie intake and physical activity go hand-in-hand to control body weight. To maintain a healthy body weight, calories consumed should be equal to or less than calories expended. Remember today is The American Heart Association National Wear Red Day – Wear Red!
Artist: The Ohio Players
Song: Sweet Sticky Thing
- Legs -
It‘s all about The Quads, What are Quadriceps?
The Quadriceps are a group of four muscles that sit on the anterior or front aspect of the thigh. They are the Vastus Medialis, Intermedius and Lateralis and finally the Rectus Femoris.
The function of the Quadriceps as a whole is to extend the knee (straighten the knee). The Rectus Femoris functions to extend the knee but also acts as a hip flexor because it crosses the hip joint.
Four Basic Exercises that you can do for your quads:
- Leg extensions
- Leg press
- Other Ways To Getting Those Quads Strong -
Having strong quadriceps is incredibly important to maintaining an active, healthy lifestyle. Your quadriceps are the foundation for your knee joints, and if you have recently had knee surgery, you will know just how important they were, because they will be “gone.” Physical therapy for knee surgery always includes tons of quadriceps work.
- Begin with straight leg raises. Lie or sit on the floor and compress your quadriceps muscle until your leg is straight and “locked.” Make sure you are not using your rear-end muscles, but your leg muscles. Raise the leg straight in the air at least 10 inches and move slowly. Lower the leg until it is about an inch off the floor, but not touching, then raise it again. Repeat this until the leg is trembly and feels a mild burning sensation. This means you have worked that muscle. Keep at this level until the burn subsides slightly, then increase the number of repetitions.
- Lie on your side and straighten your top leg. You can either point the toe, or keep your foot straight. Lift the leg toward the ceiling at least 10 inches, slowly. Then lower it, slowly, to about one inch from your other leg. Repeat. Again, do this until the leg is burning slightly and feels weak. Stay at this number until your endurance increases, then up the repetitions.
- Lie on your stomach and straighten the leg. Flex your hamstrings and lift the leg up towards the ceiling without bending it. It does not have to be high–a few inches is great. This is a lot harder than it sounds! Repeat the same steps as above.
- Doing “wall” squats is another great way to strengthen the quadriceps. Stand against a wall, flat, and slide down, slowly, until you are in a sitting position, then slowly slide back up. Repeat. With these simple exercises, you can really strengthen your quadriceps and make your legs far healthier, and your knees last longer.
Remember your goal is to become Fit and Fabulous. So, work with what you have and all happening right here.
The American Heart Association recommends eating a heart-healthy diet containing fruits, vegetables, fiber, low-fat dairy, lean meat, and foods with low amounts of salt and sugar. Getting into the habit of looking at food labels is a great way to see what’s going into your body. And Today Wear Red!
- Ms. Miluan C. Heflin -
I am a thyroid cancer survivor, fitness Trainer and NPC Bikini Athlete. You have to love the Red. Smile!
I’m striving to be a competitive fitness trainer and NPC Bikini Athlete. Mental discipline and controlled dieting plays a vital role in the lifestyle of fitness. I truly feel that it is a must to invest into your life and the lives of other that strive for physical change through fitness and health. I will motivate and assist them in reaching and consistently maintaining their fitness, health and wellness goals.
As one of many ambassadors of health and fitness. I personally want you to change for the impossible. I drive myself to live by example. I made a conscious effort to change my way of life. As a survivor of thyroid cancer and being told I don’t stand a chance, without a metabolism, to remain with fitness and wellness. I was determine not to be what I was labeled. I grew a deeper passion to improve the quality of life and health of each individual person that I work with through creative, effective fitness training and nutritional guidance.
With many trials and experimenting with different foods, I’ve notice nutrition tools are needed to become healthier, physically stronger, to motivate others to live well, and challenge others in creative ways to live out fuller, smarter, and healthier lives. My goal is to invoke possible life-lasting change that will positively impact our woman and men. I encourage everyone to know, that fitness is not just something you do. It’s a lifestyle of constant change for a better you.
- About Medifast -
Medifast’s mission is helping you become yourself through proven, healthy weight loss.
Here’s what’s different: Medifast gets weight loss. Our products and programs reflect the current science of weight control, like how your brain and body work together to drive your appetite and your sense of fullness, how nutrients affect your body at the cellular level, and the role that your thoughts, feelings, and environment play in your behavior.
Getting to a healthy weight means more than just fitting into your favorite jeans (although that’s a definite benefit!) Weight loss may lower your risk for diabetes and high cholesterol. It can reduce your chance of suffering a stroke or a heart attack. Being at a healthy weight is easier on your bones and muscles, and can improve your energy level.
Medifast comes from the medical weight-management world, not the consumer diet world. What drives our business is more than just the bottom line: Our people share a genuine, heartfelt desire to help you live a longer, healthier life—as the person you were meant to be.
Meaning: a positive trait or quality deemed to be morally good and thus is valued as a foundation of principle and good moral being. Personal virtues are characteristics valued as promoting collective and individual greatness.