Hello WHUR Family,
When you are looking for a physically active lifestyle, it begins with finding an activity that brings you joy and finding someone to share it with.
If someone told you that there was a “magic pill” that could improve your heart health, help you maintain or lose weight, build strong bones to prevent osteoporosis, keep your mind sharp, improve your sexual life. Decrease your chance of cancer, and improve your overall sense of well-being. Would you jump at the chance to get it? YES? Well, today is your lucky day because, that “magic pill” is physical activity! And it’s available to you free of charge and in many convenient forms. GET STARTED TODAY!
- Fitness Friday Groove -
Song: California Love
- Fitness Friday Exercise Program –
Starting Your Exercise Program
Now, for your exercise program for today Monday and Wednesday of next week… It‘s all about you getting started on your workout program, So, Let’s do it. Here it is… School is out – and now that you have a little more time for yourself. Here’s a great way to get started on your exercise program. Do 30-45 minutes of moderate cardiovascular, Crunches, Reverse Crunches and Planks for your core and 3-Way Calves Raises for your lower legs.
Exercises: You will do 4 set of 8-12 repetition and hold your planks for 20 seconds then rest for 10 seconds. Repeat that combination for 8 repetitions.
Remember your goal is to become Fit and Fabulous. So, work with what you have and all happening right here.
- Fitness Friday Meal of The Day -
This makeover of a Midwestern classic tops layers of lettuce, peas, bell pepper, and tomatoes with a creamy, tangy dressing. The salad stays fresh underneath until it’s served and gets even better when held overnight.
What You’ll Need
- 8 cup(s) shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup(s) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup(s) halved grape tomatoes or quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup(s) sliced celery
- 1/2 cup(s) sliced scallions
- 3/4 cup(s) nonfat plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup(s) low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon(s) cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup(s) thinly sliced fresh basil
- 3 strip(s) cooked bacon, crumbled
How To Make It
- Place lettuce in a large bowl. Layer peas, bell pepper, tomatoes, celery, and scallions on top.
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar to taste, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl until smooth. Spread the dressing evenly over the top of the salad (an offset spatula is handy for this, if you have one). Sprinkle with cheese, basil, and bacon. Serve room temperature or chilled.
- Fitness Friday Fitness Feature -
Click picture to view larger image
Photos by Paul Marcus:
About Jade Root
I have always been an active person. I competed in Track and Field, Cross Country, and Gymnastics/Cheerleading for over 12 years when I was younger. My natural drive to dedicate myself to a lifetime of fitness is what lead me to my ultimate decision to earn my degree at the United States Military Academy (West Point) and commission as an Officer in the Army.
- Fitness Friday Special Guest -
Ms. Jennifer Walker
Choosing the right Chiropractor is an important choice to make. Dr. Walker and her team are trained on the latest chiropractic treatments & technologies. In recognizing the importance of strength training and yoga, it was a natural progression to add fitness services to Balance Wellspace. And The Éminence tradition began in Hungary more than 50 years ago in a small village where family knowledge of using herbs, fruits and plants in natural remedies spanned generations.
- To Our Military Veterans and Friends -
The Washington, D.C. VA Medical Center
Looking for the most efficient and effective way to file for Veterans benefits? Have a Veterans Service Organization (VSO) help you file a Fully Developed Claim (FDC). In the video below, Craig Sergott from VA’s Compensation and Pension Service explains how you can take charge of your claim for a speedier decision. How do you find a VSO? Visit www.va.gov/vso Phone: 202 745 8000
Wishing you a great day,