Hello WHUR Family,
Food not only fuels our bodies, it also awakens our senses. Nature has given us the best of everything when it comes to food. We now know that the most beautifully-colored foods are also the most nutritious. And, when used in recipes, combining foods can make a beautiful presentation, have intoxicating aromas, fill our mouths with wonderful textures and flavors and create memories. So, food is clearly more than just fuel. Food also provides energy. That energy is what we commonly call calories. Let’s explore the relationships and how to make it all work for us.
- Fitness Friday Groove -
Song: WHEN SOMEBODY LOVES YOU BACK
Artist: Teddy Pendergrass
- Fitness Friday Exercise Program -
Now, for your exercise program for today Monday and Wednesday of next week… It‘s all about The Abdominal and Cardiovascular. So here it is!
The Four Exercise that you are going to do: Crunches, Reverse Crunches, Front Planks and Side Planks, then we’re going to finishing it all off with 30 minutes of Cardiovascular exercise. You will do 4 sets and 8-12 repetitions for each exercise and hold the planks for 10-20 seconds.
Remember your goal is to become Fit and Fabulous. So, work with what you have and all happening right here.
- Fitness Friday Meal of The Day –
Grilled Halibut with Wheatberry & Ratatouille Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wheatberries or barley
- 1 1/2 cups Creamy Vodka Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chardonnay or other dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- medium eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- medium zucchini, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- medium yellow squash, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 fillets (about 4 ounces each) halibut or cod
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Stir the wheatberries, sauce, wine, basil, parsley and red pepper in a medium bowl.
- Spread half the wheatberry mixture in the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Arrange the eggplant, zucchini and squash in two rows on top of the wheatberry mixture. Alternate 1 slice eggplant, 2 slices zucchini and 2 slices squash, overlapping slightly. Top with the remaining wheatberry mixture. Cover the baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Lightly oil the grill rack and heat the grill to high. Season the fish with salt and black pepper.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high. Place the fish on the grill, skin-side down, and grill for 6 minutes. Turn the fish over and grill for 6 minutes or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve the fish on the ratatouille.
- Fitness Friday Fitness Feature -
Dianna Forsberg is an award winning bikini athlete, fitness model, fitness spokesperson and health enthusiast. Known for competing against the best and still holding her own, this beauty has the body and personal story that serves as inspiration for professional athletes and the everyday woman alike.
While many of her competitors have been in the industry for five or more years, Dianna’s physical transformation started only three years ago following several health issues that motivated her to make better health and fitness choices. After placing 5th in her first fitness competition, she became committed to the sport and today has over ten fitness competition awards and recognitions including 2nd Place Masters at the 2013 North American Championships, 1st Masters at the 2013 NPC Dallas Europa and “Overall Champ” for the 2012 NPC Oklahoma Battle of the Bodies.
“Each day we have the ability to change our health and fitness, so that our life is fulfilling and empowering.”- Dianna Forsberg
Contact Information: https://www.facebook.com/diannaforsberg
- Fitness Friday Special Guest -
Is the superintendent for Wolf Trap National Park for the performing arts. We will be talking about their new year-round exercise two mile walking trail and bike path.