Hello WHUR Family,
Welcome To “Fitness Friday” Enjoy The Ride!
Your “Fitness Friday” Exercise Program!
For Today, Monday and Wednesday of next week:
You know the days are getting HOT and the evenings are staying WARM. And that means three things. Tank tops for men and sleeveless top and mid-drifts for women. So, today for your exercises program it’s Back and Arms…
And the goal is – Strength, Tight and Tone! Remember / your goal is become fit and fabulous / so work with what you have / and it’s all happening right here.
“Fitness Friday” Meal of The Day:
This is a summer time meal! The retro dirty martini is reinterpreted as
a dry vermouth and olive juice marinade for steak. The steak kabobs include the typical martini garnishes of onions and olives.
Makes 8 appetizer or 6 main-course servings
- 3 tablespoons Mustard Seed
- 3/4 cup dry vermouth
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons juice from green olives
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper, Coarse Ground
- 2 pounds boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 16 small cippolini onions
- 16 large pimiento-stuffed green olives
Mixed Greens with Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dry vermouth
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard, Ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Sicilian Sea Salt
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Heat large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add mustard seed; cook and stir 1 minute or until fragrant. Immediately pour out of hot pan to avoid over-toasting. Coarsely crush seeds using a rolling pin or a mortar and pestle. Reserve 1 tablespoon for the Mustard Vinaigrette.
- Mix remaining mustard seed, vermouth, oil, lemon juice, honey, olive juice, lemon peel, sea salt, garlic and pepper in large bowl until well blended. Reserve 1/4 cup of the marinade for brushing. Place remaining marinade in large resealable plastic bag or glass dish. Add steak; turn to coat well. Refrigerate 2 hours or longer for extra flavor.
- Meanwhile, bring water to boil in small saucepan. Add onions; cook 5 minutes. Drain well. Cool onions slightly. Cut off top and bottom ends, then peel onions. Remove steak from marinade. Discard remaining marinade. Alternately thread steak, onions and olives onto 16 skewers.
- Grill kabobs over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until steak is desired doneness, turning occasionally and brushing with reserved marinade.
- Meanwhile, for the Mixed Greens with Mustard Vinaigrette, mix lemon juice, oil, honey, reserved 1 tablespoon crushed toasted mustard seed, vermouth, ground mustard and sea salt in medium bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Set aside. Toss mixed greens, red onion and blue cheese in large bowl. Drizzle with vinaigrette; toss well. Serve with kabobs.
“Fitness Friday” Feature – Hard Work!
- Ms. Carla Kemp -
I am not an athlete; I am not a trainer, I coach.
My fitness journey began after the birth of my daughter 29 years ago. A career in the modeling business, and looking fit and fabulous were definitely requirements for me. However, one of the gifts from my pregnancy was 50 new pounds. I had to get the weight off if I wanted to continue working as a model. With a lot of hard work I lost the weight and continued modeling for an additional 10 years.
As time went on my passion for fitness grew, almost like a calling. I began working for some of the elite fitness clubs in the Los Angles area. I worked my way up from sales, to fitness consultant and then management.
In time an opportunity came my way to work for celebrity trainer, “Jeanette Jenkins /The Hollywood Trainer”. I became her right hand person and managed her company for seven years.
Now begins a new chapter. Recently I opened my own company, “Fab N Fit By Carla”. I do 30 Day Challenges online that inspire you to love your body, improve your health, see your beauty and be fabulous and fit.
My mission is to motivate and inspire you to be gorgeous from head to toe, maintain a healthy mind and body, and simply feel great about yourself!
Action Starts with You!
My “Fitness Friday” Special Guest”
Ms. Karen Austin, working with the D.C. Collaborative Council. They will be talking about “A Celebration of Fatherhood”. Inviting all father in the district to join them for a fun filled afternoon of events and activities.
a state of national tranquility – exemption from the rage and havoc of war peace between individuals, i.e. harmony, concord, security, safety, prosperity, felicity, of the Messiah’s peace the way that leads to peace (salvation) of Christianity, the tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and content with its earthly lot, of whatsoever sort that is the blessed state of devout and upright men after death.