The Howard University Radio Network is committed to providing a professional work experience for students interested in communications.
Students can be assigned to work at any station on the network based on the needs of the network. The student’s interests and qualifications are also a major determining factor.
- WHUR-FM 96.3 www.whur.com
- WHUR-World 96.3 HD2 www.whurworld.com
- H.U.R. Voices SiriusXM Channel 141 www.hurvoices.com
- HBCU SiriusXM Channel 142 www.hbcuradionet.com
- WHBC HD3
- Glasshouse Radio
All internships are unpaid and are offered in the fall, spring, and summer. There are several types of internships available.
- Administrative – students who assist in research, social media, and web content.
- General Manager’s Office – students will assist in clerical needs of General Manager including research, filing, and switchboard operations.
- Glasshouse – students will assist in web content, social media, show research, production, and other clerical duties as needed.
- Web Communications – Students will assist in the stations’ daily web needs including designing web graphics, advertisements, publishing content, and/or more. Knowledge of HTML, Adobe Photoshop, and Illustrator a plus.
- Music – students will assist in web content, music filing and ingestion, and other music related duties
- News/Public Affairs – students will assist in show research, writing copy, booking guests, and other news related duties.
- On-Air Talent – students are assigned voice work for various shows, promos, specials, etc.
- Videography– Students will assist in shooting and editing videos for websites and social media platforms. Students must have experience in Final Cut Pro editing software. This internship is for only available for students seeking practicum credit.
- Programming– Students who assist in on-air work including social media and show research for the midday and afternoon drive shows. Students must be available between the hours of 9:30am-1:30pm for the midday show and between the hours of 1:00pm-5:00pm for the afternoon drive show.
- Production- Students who assist in production of elements of broadcast including commercials and public service announcements. Students applying for production must be familiar with either Adobe Audition or Pro Tools and must submit a production portfolio.
- Promotions – students will assist in stations promotional needs including logging merchandise, creating social media plans, packaging prizes, as well as on site event assistance.
To be considered for an internship within the Network, one must:
- Be a registered student at Howard University (Non-Howard students may only apply for summer internships)
- Be in good academic standing (at least 2.5 GPA)
- Students seeking an internship for class credit must be registered in one of the practicum classes and be a graduating senior.
- Students seeking a Web Design internship must submit a portfolio.
- Students seeking an internship with Glasshouse Radio must contact Brandon Lamb at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students interested in WHBC must contact them directly at email@example.com.
- Practicum Internship Applications must be submitted by February 1st. Non-practicum Internship Applications must be submitted by September 9th.
How to Apply
All students interested in obtaining an internship within the network must send a completed application, copy of their resume, official transcript, and other applicable materials to the H.U.R.N Internship Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put Internship Candidate in the subject line. Applications are available at the HURN Studios located at 529 Bryant Street NW, Washington, D.C. or online (click button below).
Interviews and auditions will be granted by invitation only.
Download Application Submit Your Online Application