Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket Maya Angelou’s funeral
We feel its important to always cast a light in the shadow of darkness, hate and discrimination. And that is the only reason we are giving this story any energy. We know Maya would have wanted us to speak out….unified against it.
In a series of tweets published to their social media page Wednesday, the controversial church attempted to sully Angelou’s legacy by publishing hateful messages.
“No RIP Maya Angelou. She was a staunch devil child who esteemed the love of the world more than the honor of God,” one tweet read.
The extremist, anti-gay church blasted Angelou by calling her a “Gay rights champ,” “God defier,” Sin enabler” and other hateful things— and in doing so, mentioned that they plan to picket her funeral.
This isn’t the first time the church has participated in such radical behavior. Members previously picketed Whitney Houston’s funeral in 2012, saying the singer should have used her voice to spread the word of God.
Angelou died Wednesday morning in her Winston-Salem home. The esteemed poet was 86.
KFOR-TV reports that a memorial service was held on Thursday at the Mount Zion Baptist Church in Winston-Salem where Angelou was a member of for over 30 years.
Let the words from Maya, like the quote above, be our response to this controversial church’s attempt to sully Angelou’s legacy by publishing hateful messages.
Official funeral arrangements have not yet been announced.
- » Will Your Love of Maya Angelou Change After You've Learned of Her Sex Work History?!
- » Maya Angelou's Feature Film Documentary....Will Continue Production
- » The Issue of Domestic Violence Remains A Top Sports News Story Today
- » HU Alum, Wayne A.I. Frederick named 17th president of Howard University
- » A Tale of Two Verdicts. Does The Time Always Fit The Crime!?